How We Began
* In contrast to their large numbers – fat people are under-represented in terms of support and community organizations. The Big Community began when we saw a need and an opportunity for a new organization to offer support and resources to fat people and those who care about them. We recognized that people want an alternative, where they can find information, research, resources, support, community, love, relationships and fun, without undue focus or pressure on changing who they are.
* We support and believe in Size Acceptance and Self Acceptance. We promote and encourage the principle that fat bodies can be - and are - beautiful, healthy, powerful and desirable. We believe that about all body sizes and shapes - you don’t have to be thin, thinner, fat or fatter to be valued.
* Our vision is to provide a central location for a diverse community of dynamic members. As the community grows and changes, we will respond by developing the site to fit the needs and wants of it members, as opposed to asking its members to conform to anyone else's ideas of who they are and who they should be. New boards and features will be considered as you, the members, demonstrate that a need exists.
* We believe in Health At Every Size. We also recognize and support that this concept means that changing your size is an option that is your choice – and your right. We understand that life in a fat body presents certain challenges, and that those challenges can be addressed in a variety of ways. We offer a place to discuss the options and resources available, without imposing our view of what you should and shouldn’t consider. We welcome and encourage all ideas and opinions.
What We Provide
* Here you’ll find resources for and discussions of lifestyle, technology, health, sex, fashion, cooking and food, beauty and other wide-ranging topics. A chatroom (including video and audio!) is also available, and planned chats are frequently scheduled featuring trivia, truth-or-dare and other topics.
Who We Want To Reach
* The Big Community is just that – a BIG community consisting of men and woman of all sizes, nationalities, races and beliefs. All are welcome, but our membership requires 18 years of age to participate. Our mission is to offer an online environment for members with wide-ranging interests who share one thing in common – a desire to enhance their lives as, or with, fat people. Our focus is on enjoying and improving the lives we have – not in pursuing an unattainable and false ideal.
Enter only if you are over 18 years of age.